It’s actually quite difficult for me to answer this question as I hardly know anything about pedagogy! I suppose the way Shakespeare is taught will vary depending on the standards/requirements that are in place in different countries and states (my understanding is that American states each have different curriculum requirements, but correct me if I’m wrong). So it’s a little tough for me to comment on something with that broad of a scope since I’m not very knowledgeable on the matter.
Generally speaking, though, yes - I agree with you that Shakespeare is a bit more enjoyable and easier to learn if it’s treated as a play, and not a book. I could say the same for most plays actually…I’ll have no idea what’s going on in a Pinter play until I can see it being performed (or at least envision it), and even then it’s sometimes a stretch…but I digress. Shakespeare is not easy to grasp and I know a lot of young students view it as something very dry and boring, if not also extremely intimidating. And that’s not their fault at all. I suppose it would really depend on the teacher’s style and how the material is being presented to them. For example, a teacher I had when I was younger assigned us each to a role (which would switch in each scene so every student got a turn), and we’d read through it out loud in class as if it was a play. I also think it would be quite helpful to be shown a film adaptation (or better yet, a live performance) to really see how each story is played out.
I’m sorry this is such a vague answer, but like I said, I don’t feel that I know enough about education or pedagogy in general to give a really good answer. I’d be really interested to read your essay, though, if you’re willing to send it over!
Popular Posts
-
Daily dose of love quotes here
-
“I hold the world but as the world… A stage where every man must play a part, And mine a sad one.” - Antonio ( The Merchant of Venice , ...
-
I would be lying if I said that Shakespeare is easy to read, and unfortunately there’s not really any short cuts in terms of acclimating you...
-
I actually really love Iago as well, and I’m willing to bet that a lot of other followers do, too! Shakespeare had a talent for writing bril...
-
Just set it up and share it where ever you feel comfortable. If/when you do make a gofundme campaign, let us know and we’ll try to get the w...
-
“Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me! You would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would pluck out the ...
-
“This year was the best and the worst year of my life. I let it all go.”
-
A life coach helps people to move forward and choose professional and private goals that would bring changes to their life and would give th...
-
I’m from Hungary, a small, insignificant but extremly proud country in Eastern Europe, with a rich poetic tradition. I was eleven when I’ve...
-
How would you feel if I began posting less keep calm edits and posted some general image edits as...How would you feel if I began posting less keep calm edits and posted some general image edits as well? All musical theatre of course!
0 comentários:
Postar um comentário