My Shakespeare

I can’t remember my first Shakespeare exposure. It was probably in high school. All I know is that by my junior year of college, I was hugely pro-Shakespeare (not unusual for an English major!).

I took this class with a professor who was notoriously Shakespeare obsessed, and we covered several of his plays. On the day we got our final back (all short answer, mini-essay questions) she skipped me. She was handing them out in alphabetical order and she skipped me. 

My stomach started churning as she asked me to step outside, my final in her hand. In the hallway, she told me that in all of her 10+ years of teaching this class, she had never had a student CRUSH the final like I did and give answers as amazing as mine. I nearly passed out from relief. She then offered me a job as her research assistant. 

Now that I’m a teacher myself, inciting a love of Shakespeare is one of my primary goals. We do A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Macbeth. Just this year, a student who has moved on came back to tell me that she has the role of Rosalind in a production of As You Like It

That’s my Shakespeare memory - creating Shakespeare memories for my students. 

Related post



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

+