So that was the first time I had anything to do with...



So that was the first time I had anything to do with Shakespeare. As an exchange student, I sat in on a course on music history of London- one of the stops during our study tour was at Shakespeare’s Globe. I hadn’t studied or read Shakespeare (save for a few sonnets) before or after that, even though I enjoyed the visit there. Shame on me I know!

It was until I stumbled upon Donmar’s Coriolanus via NTLive- I read a bit the play before I went to the screening. When the first line was spoken I was blown away by how the printed words could sound. Since then, I’ve been self-studying and catching as many productions as possible. The craziest thing I’ve done was seeing Hamlet right before catching a midnight matinee of As You Like It, three and a half year after the photographed ticket, at the same place but as a groundling. (Or seeing Henry IV and Henry V twice, a total of six performances in ten days, half a year later?) But those were doubtlessly some of my best memories in theatre!

The plays make me feel like having a whole new world opened to me. I know this will be my obsession for the rest of my life, even though I don’t feel I can be as learned as scholars or actors. Better late than never, I guess?

Related post



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

+