To quote Shakespeare’s Coriolanus, “I am weary;...



To quote Shakespeare’s Coriolanus, “I am weary; yea, my memory is tired. Have we no wine here?” It’s Shakespeare’s birthday today so here’s this pub I used to frequent when I was studying at King’s lol #shakespeare400 #london#vscocam (http://ift.tt/218iZXB)

I have quite a few good memories and things to say about the role Shakespeare has played in my life, although I have to say that my fondest memories all come from my time spent as a student in London. Naturally, I’d made my pilgrimage to Stratford-upon-Avon before, but it was living in London that actually made me feel that Shakespeare’s world was right at my fingertips. After all, this was the city where he had made a name for himself. I saw a number of Shakespeare’s plays performed in venues all throughout the city, from Richard III at Trafalgar Studios to The Comedy of Errors at The Globe and Othello at the National Theatre. Shakespeare was a celebrity of sorts during his time, having captivated London with his stories and unforgettable characters during times of tremendous change and progress. And one thing I came to realise while living in London was that the city is still in love with Shakespeare. 

It’s been little more than a year since I left, and around 4 years since I started Daily Shakespeare, but I think it’s safe to say that it’s not just London - the whole world is still in love with Shakespeare, too. The man’s been dead for 400 years, yet his words and stories have endured all this time, regardless of time or place. That, I think, is the very definition of universality. Shakespeare is for everyone and that will always be what I love most about him.   

Happy 400th Birthday, Shakespeare!

Related post



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

+