Twelve Small Books

I was always a bright kid who read a ridiculous amount of books, but they never really challenged me. Then one momentous day my mum came home with a set of twelve small books. They turned out to be Shakespeare’s 12 best known plays but in short story form and in modern English.

I fell head over heels for them; I had never read stories that were so full of amazing characters, incredible twists and turns and the best plot lines of any books I had ever read. I knew the story of Romeo and Juliet inside out and backwards by the time I first learned about it in my penultimate year of primary school. I remember being allowed playing Romeo or Mercurio even though I was a girl and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I remember the teacher striding round the classroom reading the chorus part out to a class of children hanging on her every word. I remember my friend playing the Prince and shuffling in on a backwards chair pretending to be a horse. It was the best term of my primary school life.

When I came up to high school we began to study more Shakespeare, but I was one of the only ones in my class with a genuine passion for reading and decoding Shakespeare. This came hand in hand with my other passion, drama, although I have never acted in a Shakespeare play until recently (I played Macbeth in Act 4).

Every year my town Stafford has a Shakespeare festival and one of the plays is put on at Stafford Castle. My school is very close to the castle so naturally we go over every year to see the play. I’ve seen As You Like It, which was one of the best plays I’ve ever seen, and Much Ado About Nothing which is my favourite Shakespeare play at the moment (it changes all the time). In June we’re going to see Othello and I can’t wait.

Basically, Shakespeare has been a huge part of my life and I hope to continue reading and unlocking Shakespeare’s amazing stories and characters long after I leave school.

Related post



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

+