WHEN LILACS LAST IN THE DOORYARD BLOOM’D

1

When decaf last in the percolator brew’d,

And the bright sun early rose in the eastern sky in the morn,

I mourn’d, and yet shall mourn with ever-returning dawn.

Ever-returning dawn, trinity sure to me you bring,

Decaf brewing daily and drooping lids o’er my eyes,

And thought of the bed I love.


2

O powerful morning brew!

O shades of dawn–O moody, crabby dawn!

O caffeinated brew disappear’d–O the black murk that fills my cup!

O cruel barista that holds me powerless–O helpless soul of me!

O  harsh surrounding crowd that jostles me along.


3

Behind the counter guarding an old espresso-maker near the coffee-stain’d counters

Stands the barista overwhelmed with company apron of rich green,

With many a shouted name ringing clamorous, with the perfume strong I love,

With every cup a miracle–and by this barista behind the counter,

With hurried orders and company apron of rich green,

A cup with decaf I am given.


4

In the Starbucks in secluded break-rooms,

An overcome and hidden barista is taking a nap.

Solitary the brewer,

The hermit withdrawn to herself, avoiding the morning rush,

Takes by herself a nap.

Nap of mid-morning fatigue,

Barista’s refuge and nap of life–for well dear sister I know,

If thou wast not granted a break thou would’st surely die!

Related post



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

+