I think, one of my favorite Shakespearean memories has to do...



I think, one of my favorite Shakespearean memories has to do with this little slip of paper.

During my first time in England studying theatre, I took a trip with my instructor and a few classmates to Stratford-upon-Avon. We saw the mark Shakespeare had left on this little town: the RSC, the archives, and his house. My instructor then took us to the Church where Shakespeare was buried. Once in the building, we progressed our way upfront and happened upon his grave. Honestly, it’s very humbling to be in the same room as the man who gave us such beautiful words and stories. Little awestruck me happened to notice this slip of paper place at the foot of his grave, which says:

“So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.”


Which is from Sonnet 18 and sealed with a kiss. I was amazed at the simplicity of the paper, but how the ending couplet of the sonnet was used. As long as we are alive, so are his works. We are giving his works and the man a second life by reading, reinterpreting, and performing. And in turn we are given life through imagining his works again and again. Truly a legacy.

Related post



0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

+